The C. Waldo Scott Center for H.O.P.E. has established need based, merit scholarships to promote academic excellence among students in Newport News, Virginia.
Scholarships are to be awarded on a competitive basis to students seeking a post-secondary education who have a good to excellent academic record; strong leadership qualities; strong involvement in school and community activities; and are enrolled in the
Newport News Public Schools.
High school seniors enrolled in the Newport News Public Schools are eligible to apply for the C. Waldo Scott Center Board of Trustees’ Scholarship if they are planning to attend an accredited college or university.
1. Must attend one of the high schools in the Newport News Public School system.
2. Must be a prospective June 2023 graduate.
3. Must matriculate to an accredited college or university.
4. Must possess a minimum of 2.5 GPA.
5. Must submit a complete application including a 500-word essay.
6. Must present a list of school and community activities.
7. Must submit two (2) letters of recommendation.
8. Must submit an official transcript from their School Counseling Office.
Former scholarship recipients seeking to reapply for scholarship funds following the first year in college must submit a letter of application to include an update of their activities (academic and extra-curricular) while in college, explain the continued need for scholarship funds, and discuss future academic and/or career plans.
Such applicants must also submit their most recent official college transcript and a letter of “Good Standing” from their college/university.
1. The recipient is chosen on the basis of his/her academic or vocational excellence, school and community involvement, letters of recommendation, essay, and need.
2. The C. Waldo Scott Center Board of Trustees Scholarship Committee will select recipients and alternates. The names will be presented to the Board of Trustees. The decision of the Board of Trustees is final.
The C. Waldo Scott Center will award scholarships up to one thousand ($1,000.00) dollars. The Scott Center can change the amount of the scholarship and the number of scholarships to be awarded for a particular year contingent upon available funding.
The application deadline for the scholarship is no later than May 5, 2023 (by 5:00p.m. E.S.T.). If you mail your application, please do so in a timely manner to ensure delivery by the due date. No faxed applications will be accepted. Applications may be emailed to [email protected] by due date, use subject line: 2023 Scholarship.
1. The names of the applicants recommended for scholarships will be submitted to the C. Waldo Scott Center Board of Trustees for approval.
2. Initially, only a certificate of award will be presented to selected applicant(s). Upon receipt of verification of enrollment and attendance from the registrar of an accredited college or university (requested by the recipient), the C. Waldo Scott Center will forward scholarship monies to the recipient.
All scholarships are given for one year only, contingent upon funds available to the Board of Trustees, with no guarantee of continued funding beyond the first year.
The Board of Trustees reserves the right to determine not to award or limit the number of scholarships awarded based on the quality of the applications.